Continuum of Care Meeting Minutes


October 3, 2019


Attendees
Dora Carter, Corae Young, Amy Shryock, Kelsey Bush, Florence Brooks, Laurel James, Betsy VanAuker, Amanda Chesney, Donna Brennan, Jeral Barnes, Jacquelyn Hannan, Lori Horny, Krystal Bowser, Jennifer Edwards, Renee Curry, Becky Sweeney, Jennifer Neff, Sara Martin, Christy Parque, Lanny Lancaster, Sandy Washington, Cynthia Brown, Dennis Nicholson, LaShawn Freeman, Kyle Cox, Bethany Goodwin
Guests: Steve Holt, Assistant Director & Suzanne Korps, Program Officer, MD DHCD; Census Bureau representatives


The meeting was called to order at 2:05pm by Dora Carter with welcome and introductions.


Guest Presentation: Census Committee 2020
Lee Osbourne, representative from the Census, states that the goal is to count everyone once and through working with the community. The goal is to get the word out. They are encouraging people to take it online. One of the concerns is counting for the homeless. There’s going to be a separate operation called group quarters to work with groups such as ours in February 2020. The Hanover office will be handling. They are also trying to hire individuals to support this operation. They are trying to work with maximum number of organizations as possible. Each person missed is $1,825/person. There is no information collected that is considered personally identified. They will be attending the Calvert County Resource Day. They also have recruiters that will do a specific job fair at our site. Pay rate is $15 – $40/hour. Sonya Lativitz is the Charles County representative. Minimum requirements are 18 years and older and an email address. There is a background check conducted. They were encouraged to attend the St. Mary’s County Community Assistance Day on November 8th. Each county has a complete count Committee. Typically, those undercounted are those ages 18 – 24, homeless, veterans, and children. Each committee will develop a list that highlights the underrepresented and outreach mechanisms. Persons will start receiving calls in December 2019/January 2020. They will be counted where they are on April 1st, 2020, or where people are for six months and one day. For correctional institutions, they will be counted where they are. Approval of September Meeting Minutes

• Kelsey Bush made a motion to approve the September Meeting Minutes and Dennis Nicholson seconded the motion.
New Business • Elections: Dora Carter explained that we were in the process of electing a new Chair. The list of the voting board members was read which established a quorum. There were 10 persons that voted. Corae Young was selected as Chair with the majority of votes; Donna Brennan was volunteered to replace Corae as CoC Secretary.

• NOFA: Dora stated that the NOFA was successfully submitted to HUD. She stated that next time we need to have time to fully understand the process. Cynthia stated that it would be good to have the QA committee come together now and review the process, so the next time it’s clearer. This may include looking at a timeline. Kelsey stated that we can try to get some things accomplished before July and anticipated data needed, when the NOFA may be scheduled to come out. Sara states that the data is currently in HMIS and don’t know the requirements until the NOFA drops. Lanny states that we could better inform the voting members so they understand the process better. Sandy states that we may need additional training so we all have the same level of knowledge, including a cross-training. Amanda agrees that a pre-education/information session is needed; we verified that the quarterly reports go to each provider and a conference call was held. Kelsey suggested we take out a portion of the meeting for funded providers to present to the CoC. Membership needs to also look at better defining the roles and responsibilities of members and conducting an orientation. Committee Reports • Services Committee: Sara stated there was a meeting on last Friday on the coordinated entry, third party verification (TPV), and quality of the referrals. Sara was going to reach out to the service providers to help get TPVs, and ensure they are accurate. Sara discussed that the CoC referral form is in test mode in working with the Departments of Social Services. Once all of the kinks have been fixed, it will come to the CoC for a vote. This also includes an additional signature line for any adult household members on the HMIS consumer consent page. The byname list has been improved and published. The new list was created from HMIS. There are now 109 people on the list, which is down from over 200+. All persons on the BNL have been verified as homeless. Sara asked DSS if they have an updated referral and no note attached to it, she won’t know why it’s being sent. Please include a cover letter stating that it’s an updated referral, and state when the prior referral was done. She has 35 names that she has gotten from various providers that can’t go on the byname list without documentation. Sara and the committee also made updates to the Coordinated Entry Policies & Procedures. This includes grammatical changes, text amendments, and additional changes. Sara gave an overview on the changes that were made, i.e., separated referral process from program process; removing redundancy; updated ESG language to HSP; documentation of disability

• Executive Committee: No report

• HMIS: Lanny reported that he has asked Florence to clarify the domestic violence data collection. There is a question on the NOFA on whether we are in compliance with HUD and Department of Justice regarding data collection. DHCD states that as long as we have a firewall, it was acceptable. Since then, the DOJ states that we can’t put DV data in the system and has to be a comparable database. Florence is speaking with the Maryland Collaborative to determine the
best response. The new software would cost $10,000. The state is trying to negotiate a cost with one software provider to lower the cost statewide. Lanny states that the cost may have to be included in next year’s planning grant. Kelsey asked if it was possible to approach the individual counties about their grants process. Crisis Intervention purchased the APRICOT system that Safe Harbor will be transitioning to. Corae mentioned that the providers could request funding from GOCCP to offset expense. • Membership: Corae made a motion to vote on Wayne Millette for Calvert and Laura Joyce as St. Mary’s on the Governing Board. Kelsey voted and Dora seconded. An updated voting board members listing will be sent out.

• Public Relations: Sara stated that there’s a new document on the CoC website regarding an overview of the CoC. We will need a chair of this sub-committee.

• Quality Assurance: Cynthia stated the team met with each of the county’s Shelter Plus Care programs to do their monitoring. As of this morning, the QA committee met to review the CoC NOFA 2019 applications. There is a lot of information to review. The committee still has to rank the applications. They have until the end of September to review but have to build in 14 days for public comment. They plan to wrap up by the end of next week. • Resource Development: No report

• Unaccompanied Youth: Kelsey stated that he’s waiting to schedule another meeting. Corae reported that the Joint Sub-Committee on Unaccompanied Homeless Minors meeting was on Tuesday. She thanked the CoC for providing information on services available in the region, as we were one of the only CoCs that provided such information; other information was from state agencies or individual agencies. Kelsey stated that we discussed doing a mid-year PIT but didn’t do it for lack of funding and resources. Dora stated that she has heard other jurisdictions that are planning mid-year PIT. Kelsey stated that we should encourage getting information to Delegate Patterson. Mike stated that Senator Ellis is also on the committee.

• Domestic Violence: Krystal stated we had a second meeting at the end of August. The main topic of our last meeting was the HMIS data input and providing verification to VAWA providers that it was approval to use HMIS. She shared that she went to the DHCD meeting last month but few providers around the state provide information to the CoC. We also discussed having a clear definition of domestic violence for the CoC to utilize in providing housing services.

• Behavioral Health: Tanya states they have their first meeting tomorrow at St. Mary’s County Health Department from 9 – 11am. They will meet on the 1st Friday of every month. Krystal mentioned that Kyle will now be representing Pyramid Walden for future meetings.

• Point in Time: No report

County Reports

• Charles: Mike mentioned that the Resource Day is October 2nd, 10am – 2pm at Jaycees. The senior center is now moving, and we will have the entire building. We’re also providing barbers and massage therapist. We have funding through Community Services and private donors and
now fully funded for Resource Day. We’re also doing a pop-up clothing and accessories store. Flyers are being filtered through CCPS.

• Calvert: Betsy stated that the Resource Day is October 18th, 11 – pm at the St. John Vianney Family Life Center. The committee meets this Monday. They are also working on PIT. There’s a question regarding how the PIT intersects with the Census. Jacquelyn stated that the Census may be able to give us tablets while we’re doing PIT to capture their information. It was suggested that they can reach out to Lanny as the PIT Chair. The new McKinney-Vento representative, Tracy Lloyd, has already registered 30 students. Renee Crampton stated that Calvert DSS opened up a job center in the Goldstein building on Tuesday in a partnership with Tri-County Council. The center number is 443-550-6728. The committee also wanted clarification on whether they can use Community Resource Day and PIT money to buy gift cards. Those funds can be used for food and gas cards, and it needs to be tracked who it was given to and signed off by the recipient.

• St. Mary’s: Cynthia stated that they made a presentation to the Commissioners and approved the Homeless Prevention Board’s plan. Laura Joyce from SMCFA presented at the last meeting, stating that they are providing more services, to include anger management and counseling. Some of those services were originally provided by Walden Sierra. The Resource Day is November 8th, 11am – 2pm at Lexington Park UMC.
IDT Reports

• Charles: Corae reported the meeting is the 2nd Monday of the month at DSS. Meetings are going well and building more collaboration.

• Calvert: Betsy reported the meetings are the 2nd Thursday of each month at DSS

• St. Mary’s: Lanny reported the meetings are the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month at Lexington Park DSS and lead by DSS, from 9:30 – 11am.

Next Meeting: The next meeting will be November 7th, 2019, 2pm at the Charlotte Hall

Library.
Adjournment: Kelsey Bush motioned to adjourn the meeting and Sara Martin seconded the motion. Meeting was adjourned at 3:09PM.